Polar Explorer Careers Booklet
This resource provides an opportunity for pupils 7-11 to find out about some of the STEM careers linked to RRS Sir David Attenborough, a new ship which will be one of the most advanced polar research ships in the world. It contains six classroom activities that link to curriculum topics including: forces, electricity, thermal insulation, animals, habitats and aspects of literacy, geography, art and D&T. All activities are based upon the new vessel, the work of the research scientists and the many dedicated staff who support them. It is hoped that the children, having learned about the satisfaction and excitement such work can bring, will be inspired to consider a future in a STEM-related career.
- Propeller Boat Challenge
- Career choices-Choose a career, make a job application and attend an interview!
- Ice Station design challenge-Testing insulation and electrical circuits
- Stranded! -Team building and an engineering challenge
- Team Expedition Antarctica-Design a flag and a mission badge
- Polar Expedition board game-Set off from BAS HQ and answer the quiz questions to reach Antarctic Research Station
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.