The Polar Explorer Y6-Y7 Transition Project
This resource provides a framework for teachers to run a transition project with Year 6 pupils to help them with the move from primary to secondary school. The project is based on the theme of Polar Exploration and aims to enable pupils to use and develop a range of STEM skills that they will ultimately need to become independent learners in the STEM subjects. The resource provides a timetable for the process and a suggested series of activities for children to get them ready for the transition to Year 7. It contains several different parts involving both primary and secondary staff which should take place over a number of lessons. Carefully planning and good communication between the primary and secondary staff will be the key to running a successful project.
This resource has been provided by STEM Learning. It may be used successfully as a stand-alone project, or be used as part of the wider Polar Explorer Programme.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
- Celebration Event invitation template
- Certificate of participation
- Reflective diary
- Science poster template 1
- Science poster template 2
- Student worksheet 1 - Research Antarctica
- Student worksheet 2 - Investigation planning sheet
- Teacher resource 1 - STEM skills primary
- Transition project - Making a poster
- Transition project - Setting the scene
- Teachers Notes
- Teacher Resource 2 Mapping progression across KS1 - KS3 working scientifically
You might also like
|Published||2010 to date|
Share this resource
This resource is part of Polar explorer
- Polar explorer
- The Polar Explorer Y6-Y7 Transition Project