These diagnostic questions and response activities (contained in the zip file) support students in being able to:
- Recall that organisms are alive during all stages of a life cycle.
- Describe the life cycles of different plants and animals (e.g. a flowering plant, a human and a butterfly).
- Apply the idea that growth by cell division is an important part of the life cycle of multicellular plants and animals.
- Describe the role and importance of development in the life cycles of plants and animals (e.g. flowering plants producing flowers, butterflies undergoing metamorphosis and humans going through puberty).
- Explain the role of gametes (sex cells) in the life cycles of plants and animals.
The resources include details of common misconceptions and a summary of the research upon which the resources are based.
Download the zip file for all the questions and activities.
More resources like this can be found on the BEST webpage: Best Evidence in Science Teaching
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.