These diagnostic questions and response activities (contained in the zip file) support students in being able to:
- Identify a range of circuit diagrams that represent the same parallel circuit.
- Describe how to measure the voltage across the battery and across each branch of a parallel circuit.
- Describe the rule for voltages in a parallel circuit.
- Explain how a parallel circuit is like a set of nested simple-series circuits.
- Predict the voltage of batteries connected together in parallel.
- Describe how to measure current through the battery in a parallel circuit.
- Describe how to measure current through each branch in a parallel circuit.
- Describe the rule for current in a parallel circuit.
- Explain how the size of electric current in each branch depends on the voltage across the branch and the resistance of components in the branch.
- Explain changes in a parallel circuit when an extra branch is added.
The resources include details of common misconceptions and a summary of the research upon which the resources are based.
Download the zip file for all the questions and activities.
More resources like this can be found on the BEST webpage: Best Evidence in Science Teaching
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.