In this experiment students prepare a smear slide of yoghurt and observe Gram stained bacteria using a microscope. The lesson also looks at magnification and representing numbers in standard form.
Curriculum links include:
* Working Scientifically - Experimental Skills and Investigations: use appropriate techniques, apparatus, and materials during fieldwork and laboratory work, paying attention to health and safety
* Working Scientifically - Analysis and Evaluation: apply mathematical concepts and calculate results
* Working Scientifically - Measurement: understand and use SI units
* Biology - Cells and Organisation: cells as the fundamental unit of living organisms, including how to observe, interpret and record cell structure using a light microscope. The functions of the cell wall, cell membrane, cytoplasm, nucleus, vacuole, mitochondria and chloroplasts
* Biology - Nutrition and digestion: the importance of bacteria in the human digestive system