Benchmarks for Primary Schools
This document, published by SCORE (Science Community Representing Education), provides guidance to primary schools on the resources needed to carry out practical work, to ensure that all children receive a well-rounded science education. The benchmarks show the levels of resourcing that SCORE considers necessary to provide effective and inspirational practical work in science.
The benchmarks can be used to:
* identify resources to support the teaching of the school’s science curriculum
* review science resources (equipment and consumables plus outdoor space) and identify topics for which there is a lack of appropriate resources.
* compare their resources with a national benchmark, to support a rationale for increased funding for science in their school (or cluster of schools).
* plan for a rolling programme of resource replacement.
* work with the senior leadership team on the science aspects of the school development plan and forecast future needs.