Skill 1.2 Using the Library
These activities, produced by Gatsby Science Enhancement Programme, help students to see the importance of the library as a source of information for printed materials on a wide variety of topics. There is a particular focus on the science and technology sections.
The activity seeks to develop students' information retrieval skills. They provide opportunities for students to learn how to sift through and adapt information to suit their particular needs. Activities look at how to obtain relevant information from a scientific book.
Students are familiarised with the different methods used to categorise and organise information in a library. This includes:
* the various sections in a library
* methods of selecting and arranging books
* reference books such as encyclopaedias, dictionaries and lexicons
* non-fiction sections and in particular science books
* methods of locating books in the library