Applying Science Teaching Resources
This set of ten video case studies, from around 2010, illustrate a range of technician roles that use science and mathematics. The examples feature young college students and apprentices who talk about their area of study or work and who have a clear career route in mind.
The case studies cover:
- Animal care
- Dispensing optics
- Electrical engineering
- Electrical installation
- Landbased technology
- Service engineering
- Sports science
- Vehicle maintenance
Each video is accompanied by curriculum-related activities relevent to the topic covered. A background document, available from the link below, sets out some of the options available to students at age 16 and the role of technicians.
These videos were created as part of the Future Morph programme from the Science Council and date from 2008. Although historic, many are still relevant and useful today.
- Lesson plans: Nuffield Foundation Practical Physics activities; David Sang, courtesy of Institute of Physics Practical Biology activities; Carol Levick, courtesy of Society of Biology Practical Chemistry activities; Emma Palmer, courtesy of Royal Society of Chemistry
- Supporting information: CoHesion Career Development Consultancy, Brian Cairns and Ruth Wright Films: Anna Grayson,
- Production and direction: Bob Walters,
- Direction and filming: Phil Stopford and Twofour Digital Ltd,
- Post production: Bicton College City & Islington College City College Plymouth Exeter College
Produced for Future Morph, these resources consist of a short video and an accompanying classroom activity. In the video, a First Diploma in Animal Care student describes her work on the course. She illustrates how the course gives experience relevent to working in a range of environments including farming, zoos...
This short ...
Produced for Future Morph, these resources contain a video in which a student talks about her apprenticeship course in electrical installation at Exeter college. She describes the entry qualifications needed for her course, contrasts her experiences at college compared to school and briefly mentions health and...
Produced for Future Morph, this resource contains a video in which an apprentice plumber talks about his work in a renewable energy company installing solar water panels. The theory and practicals he learns in college is applied in the workplace. A second activity looks at a demonstration that illustrates the...