Essential Ideas in Electronics: Voltage
These articles, first published in Electronics Education, are aimed at giving guidance to teachers and help to describe the concept of voltage in an electric circuit. There are two articles in this resource.
The first article introduces the following ideas:
* A signal in a system is a voltage
* A voltage is a difference in electric potential between two places
* Voltage is formally called potential difference
* Voltages can be measured with a voltmeter
The second article develops these ideas further by looking at:
* Electrons and atomic structure
* Electric potential
* Separating electrical charges
* How a battery (cell) works
* Photoelectric effect
* Piezoelectric effect
The article is linked with a similar one looking at current which can be found at Essential Ideas in Electronics: Current.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.