Bringing Cutting Edge Science into the Classroom
The materials in this collection, funded by Research Councils UK, were designed to support the use of cutting edge research in the classroom and to compliment the Cutting Edge Science Programme.
The Cutting Edge Science programme, organised by the National STEM Learning Centre and Network, was created with leading scientists to support the teaching of science subjects at GCSE and A level in order to deliver the latest knowledge, new contexts and practical activities to teachers. In each course, a scientist worked alongside a course tutor to explain recent advances and provided an insight into their own current research, linking cutting edge science with today’s classroom.
The courses aimed to:
- Develop and update teachers' knowledge by engaging with scientists involved in cutting edge research
- Use authentic contexts for the effective delivery of science content
- Deepen understanding of how science works, including controversies and ethical issues engage with active and inspiring teaching approaches and learning activities.
The National Science Learning Network continue to offer a range of exciting and innovative courses designed to deliver the latest knowledge, new contexts and practical activities to teachers.
This resource looks at how cutting edge science is being used to answer archaeological questions, as well as solving present day problems, such as the identification of meat in processed foods. Analysis of mitochondrial DNA was performed, at the University of York, on samples from skeletal remains unearthed by the...
Activities in this resource aim to:
- celebrate the achievement of completing the Human Genome project in 2003
- show the relevance of genome sequencing today
- explain the methods used for DNA sequencing, including the illumina method of rapid sequencing and the shotgun sequencing ...
This resource consists of a series of images, audio commentary and videos of sustainable design features in a community. These are:Code Level 6 homes Wind Turbines Solar Panels Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDs).
The aim of the resource is to share some of the findings of an Economic and...
Produced in 2014, this resource looks at cell signalling when the hormone adrenaline binds to receptors on the surface of the target cell. The resource sheets describe how the original hormonal signal is amplified through a cascade reaction....