How to embed open-ended investigative practical work into the science curriculum RX041
Develop a deeper understanding of practical skills and application of disciplinary knowledge by meeting the Gatsby Practical Benchmark 8.
You will engage with the Gatsby Good Practical Science report and review strategies in order to plan and implement open-ended investigative practical work in the curriculum. This specifically addresses the Gatsby Practical Benchmark 8. The course will develop a deeper understanding of practical skills and the application of procedural knowledge to support students with the challenges of application of practical skills to unfamiliar examination questions.
You will be able to:
- understand how to achieve Gatsby Benchmark 8 of the Good Practical Science report
- identify suitable strategies to enhance delivery of investigative practical work
- explore practical activities to develop procedural knowledge
- support students in applying their knowledge in unfamiliar contexts
- reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities and therefore students’ learning
- better support students with the challenges of examination questions around practical work