Reaching for grade 9 in science NY270
Support your students to reach grade 9 in GCSE science by exploring new strategies and activities.
Review strategies to enable the high achieving students to push on to aim for grade 9 by allowing them to develop a much deeper understanding of the science content and context.
Look at how students can tackle the mathematical demands in unusual contexts, high quality practical work and go beyond this so they can tackle terminal examinations with confidence.
Who is it for?
RQTs, Heads of Department and Heads of subject
What topics are covered?
- Assessing understanding through practical work
- Building on required practical work across all three sciences
- Developing extended answers
- Maths skills for high ability
- Looking at the tricky bits across all three sciences
- Misconceptions and how to challenge them
- Working scientifically - Assessment Objective 3
- Planning progression and making it easier for future year groups
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered either remotely, face to face at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, or as a blend of both approaches.Please see the 'Scheduled dates' section on the top right hand side of this page to choose the date and delivery mode that suit you best.
How long is this course?
This is a four day intensive course split into two periods of two days each.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- identify suitable strategies to enhance delivery of difficult science topics
- explore practical activities to stretch, challenge and embed understanding
- support students in applying their knowledge in unfamiliar contexts
- better support your students with the challenges of the exams