Maths for A level biology NY284
Perfect for anyone who is teaching A level biology. Improve your understanding and teaching of mathematics topics required for this subject.
There is an increased mathematical demand in in both the GCSE and A level biology specifications.
This course is ideal for teachers of biology who wish to improve their understanding of the mathematics required to be successful in teaching biology at A level.
The course explores a range of teaching and learning strategies for successful integration of mathematics skills in A level biology to develop deeper understanding of mathematics and biology concepts. We discuss how to support students to apply their GCSE mathematics knowledge in an A level context and learn the mathematics behind the biology in order to teach for understanding.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- Applying GCSE mathematics in A level biology
- Logarithms applied in A level biology
- Introduction to statistics in A level biology
- Chi-squared tests
- T tests
Spearman’s rankNot sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- improve your knowledge of the mathematical topics required for A level biology
- have a deeper understanding of the reasons why students have difficulty applying their mathematical skills in a biological context
- identify pedagogies to help address these issues
- explore mathematics resources suitable for teaching A level biology