Maths subject knowledge: proportional reasoning NE204
Discover multiplicative reasoning strategies, links between ratio and proportion and how to scale things up and down.
Online, self-paced course. Proportional reasoning, and the use of ratios, is required across different areas of the mathematics curriculum. It is essential to many areas of science and technology and is used in a range of real-world situations in both life and work.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- proportional reasoning.
- applications of proportional reasoning.
- taking proportional reasoning further.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
- identify problems that can be solved using proportional reasoning.
- solve problems of scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method.
- solve problems of ratio with two and three quantities.
- apply proportional reasoning to conversion and compound measure problems.
- apply proportional reasoning to scaling of area and volume.
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared with FutureLearn under their Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and your progress on this course will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive access to the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.