Smart, modern and technical materials: inspired by space technology TV209
Develop an exciting design and technology curriculum through the context of space technology.
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn about modern and smart materials, including technical textiles, all set in the context of space technology.
Develop an exciting and hands-on curriculum that embraces the STEM elements of the Design and Technology GCSE curriculum. Content will focus on the smart and modern materials and technical textiles elements of the new Design and Technology GCSE specification (across all awarding bodes) and will also be relevant to teachers wanting to develop this area at key stage 3.
The course is held at the Airbus Foundation Discovery Space, the home of the Mars Yard where Airbus scientists and engineers are testing out the next UK effort on Mars, the ExoMars Rover, as part of the ExoMars Programme.
As well as being able to see the ExoMars Rover and the Mars Yard testing area, participants will be able to use the interactive displays at the Centre and find out more about the materials used in space technology from an Airbus STEM ambassador.
Content will include:
- discover how smart and modern materials and technical textiles are changing the way we design and make products
- explore key elements of the modern and smart materials and technical textiles content of the Design and Technology GCSE specifications
- investigate the science behind smart and modern materials and technical textiles and consider how this learning can be approached in a creative and hands on way
- see real world applications of smart and modern materials and technical textiles, including hearing from a STEM ambassador working with some of these materials
- consider ways of embedding STEM into your design and technology curriculum and how this can be used to raise the profile of design and technologyresources to take away that help embed smart and modern materials and technical textiles into the curriculum
You will be able to:
- gain hands on experience of modern and smart materials and technical textiles
- develop curriculum content and activities for the smart and modern materials and technical textiles elements of the GCSE specifications, as well as content suitable for the key stage 3 curriculum
- create a design and technology curriculum and that embraces STEM in a creative way