New to teaching A level mathematics summer school MY500
Learn to teach maths for understanding and engagement rather than 'teaching to the test.' Participants will increase subject knowledge and deepen understanding of mathematics.
"The best training course I have attended in my 14 years of teaching.” - past participant.
Our highly acclaimed annual four day summer school, run in conjunction with MEI and the University of Sheffield, is designed for teachers who have little, or no, experience of teaching A level mathematics. Develop pedagogical knowledge in order to improve teaching skills, thus giving the confidence to teach for understanding and engagement, rather than ‘teaching to the test’. Experience a range of teaching techniques delivered through 12 sessions: eight featuring topics from pure mathematics, two from mechanics and two from statistics. Also, plan and deliver a team taught twenty minute lesson.
Designed for teachers who are:
- new to teaching, eg. have no more than three years teaching experience. Ideal for teachers who have just completed their initial teacher training programme and are about to take up their first post
- more experienced teachers of mathematics who are new to teaching A level
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Course fees vary for participants outside the UK. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- have a deeper understanding of the key concepts that underpin A level mathematics, and how these ideas are linked together across the subject
- have developed a range of active learning approaches to teaching these concepts
- understand the importance of practical approaches to teaching applied mathematics