Benchmarking professional technician competency level using the HEaTED toolkit HC011
To support participants in identifying their current technical competency level, professional development areas, future skills and knowledge demands and needs.
The HEaTED Competency Assessment Toolkit for Technical Staff (CATTS) is a recognised assessment tool for technical staff, designed by Technical Resource Managers (TRMs) and Human Resource Professionals (HRPs), and used by 21 Higher Education (HE) institutions in the UK. It is an easy to use and effective benchmarking tool to identify current competencies, development areas and future demands and needs of technical professionals. This is an evidence based approach to skills mapping and gap identification, and helps technical staff understand where they are in the professional journey: Learner – Experimentalist – Practitioner – Specialist - Expert. The CATTS toolkit supports the performance review process, improves succession planning, staff continuous professional development (CPD). The assessment tool provides recognition of achievement and will showcase the career profile of individuals and hence the capability of the organisation when delivering teaching, research and enterprise activities. This one day workshop is aimed at technicians, technologists and related staff, and line managers, who want to assess their technical competency level.
To support participants in identifying their current technical competency level, professional development areas and future skills and knowledge demands and needs.
Key objectives of this workshop is to provide:
- a ‘walk through, talk-through’ of all the 5 areas of the CATTS assessment tool
- peer-to-peer learning, including time for reflection and consideration
- examples of good and bad toolkit assessment practice
- ‘bite sized’ modules, concluding with a full Q&A
- a mixture of interactive learning, together with group exercises
On completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- recognise their current competency skills level using the CATTS tool
- characterise their knowledge, skills and experience into CATTS assessment
- perform competency level assessment to recognised HE industry standard
- analyse development needs to follow through as part of their CPD
- evaluate and align their development needs in support of employer activities
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.