How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop GM002 / C01
Club leaders will gain inspiration, ideas and practical tips for developing their club, as well as an understanding of the importance of STEM Clubs and an appreciation of the vital role the STEM Club leader has in supporting and enthusing students. The workshop is aimed at secondary schools, Sixth Form and FE colleges across England with KS3, KS4 and KS5 provision. Designed as an online course it will take place as three sessions across 3-4 days: Session 1: 1 hour interactive session, Session 2: Self-learning tasks and Session 3: 1 hour interactive session.
Please note this will run as one 2 hour combined session.
The workshop includes practical activities, opportunities to network and the sharing of best practice. The workshop explores the following topics:
- consider the definition of a ‘Thriving and Successful’ club and the STEM Clubs criteria
- how to maintain interest with senior leadership, parents, local industry, community, students and how club leader skills can translate into the classroom
- promoting best practice through support networks and collaboration
- how to enhance student engagement by creating opportunities for responsibility and looking at ways to enhance essential skills and raise careers awareness understanding the benefits of impact, student evaluation and recognition schemes and how to gather evidence
- identifying challenges, competitions, projects and activities that engage student interest and how to plan activities, adapt projects and avoid potential pitfalls
- adding extra benefit through trips and visitors
- identifying funding sources and grants available nationally, regionally and locally; and exploring how to apply for grants and understand what information organisations are seeking
- generating opportunities, ideas or projects that could produce funding
- seeking materials and resources and how to approach local companies
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- identify successful and thriving factors for your club to focus on to increase student interest and attendance and reinvigorate support from colleagues and senior management
- identify and embed opportunities to enhance student engagement and capabilities
- plan long term projects and engagement with a broader range of STEM subject projects
- create a plan to generate club funding and improve your grant application skills
- develop a portfolio of evidence, recording the impact and benefits of your club
|How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop||09 December 2021||15:30-16:30||Virtual|
|How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop||09 December 2021||16:30-17:30|
|Gap task||10 December 2021||00:00-00:00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available