Designing and Making with Food at Key Stage One
From the Nuffield Foundation, these activities challenge children to make and prepare toast to customers' specifications.
This task allows children to:
* explore the different types of bread that can be toasted
* find out people's preferences for this common food
* think about when and how toast is used as a food
* investigate what happens when bread is toasted
* explore the different ways toasted bread can be served
* write or draw a specification for toast prepared in a particular way for someone in their family, make toast to that specification, and evaluate it.
In the project children will learn:
• to identify and analyse consumer preferences
• to experiment with different breads, toasting times and spreads
• to make butter
• to prepare food to particular specification
• to evaluate a food product
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.