Episode 123: Alternating Current
Produced by the Institute of Physics, this learning episode helps students to distinguish alternating from direct currents before revising why alternating current (ac) is so important.
The range of activities include:
• demonstrating the output of a generator
• measuring alternating current with a cathode ray oscilloscope
• discussion and equations relating to alternating current, power, direct current equivalent and root-mean-square (rms)
• using a filament lamp to demonstrate ac-dc equivalence and rms
• student questions with answers provided