Maths Activity in the Early Years - Topic Booklets
This Eigen publications material is designed to support the teaching of early mathematics concepts. The booklets are independent of each other each with a specific focus.
* Step on it develops numbers to 20 by physical activity using numbered carpet tiles.
* Puppet maths gives ideas for the use of glove puppets in developing counting and labeling, ordering, sorting, comparison and guessing games.
* Patterns of three uses a variety of situations to develop an informal appreciation of the three times table.
* Number lines extends the work of Step on it using number tracks from 1 to 10 or 1 to 20.
* Number games provides simple number games for two children using ordering and simple number properties.
* Shapes explores the use of basic shapes to make patterns and pictures by joining and folding.
* Mirrors and patterns explores the properties of mirror images.
* Time: tockers is about making and using simple timing devices with a focus on comparison and language.
* Christmas cards provides ideas for making Christmas cards which all have a mathematical base.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.