Effective A Level practical work: Biology NY312
Develop understanding of effective practical work at A level biology
Effective A level practical work: biology will provide you with a range of both practical and pedagogical experience to support practical science in your subject. You will build the disciplinary knowledge required to teach practical work and investigate a joined-up approach to progression across the curriculum. We will also look at developing concepts through practical work and how to build student understanding towards practical work questions.
This course is run at the same time as Effective A level practical work: chemistry and Effective A level practical work: physics, multiple participants may attend from one science department.
You may also be interested in: NY501 Established teachers of A level biology
Not quite what you are looking for? Try NY250 New to A level biology
Who is it for?
Teachers of A level biology including Early Career Teachers (ECTs), experienced teachers, curriculum leads for biology
What topics are covered?
This two-day course covers:
- CPAC requirements
- effective practical work, core practicals
- additional practical work to use in teaching concepts from A level biology
- developing student response to practical questions
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a two-day intensive course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- develop your disciplinary knowledge to support practical assessment in biology
- adopt strategies and techniques to develop students response to practical questions
- expand your repertoire of science practical work that can be used in A level biology
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.