Embedding working scientifically in the primary science curriculum NY030
Practical science is essential for inspiring children and teachers alike. You will develop practical strategies to enhance pupils' confidence and learning in primary science.
Working scientifically is at the heart of an outstanding primary curriculum. This course will give you lots of practical and innovative ideas to plan for engaging and manageable practical lessons.
With a focus on scientific enquiry, you will be supported in developing children’s independence and confidence as they ask and answer their own questions. You will learn how to embed ongoing formative assessment within practical lessons, plan for progression in working scientifically from Reception to Year 6 and leave with a range of resources and activities to implement in your school.
Who is it for?
Teachers and leaders of primary science.
What topics are covered?
This three day course covers:
- understanding and developing working scientifically
- skills progression in working scientifically
- developing subject knowledge
- assessment of working scientifically
- enriching the primary curriculum
- developing science capital
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a three day face to face residential course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- develop practical and enquiry driven science in the primary classroom
- enable children to use a variety of approaches to answer relevant scientific questions
- develop strategies for ensuring progression, differentiation and assessment of practical science
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.