Developing shared approaches to maths in science and science in maths MY214
There is significant overlap between science and mathematics curricula, but students’ experience of shared topics is often very different in the two subjects. Are applications from science regularly used to explore concepts in maths lessons? Are the mathematical techniques that students learn in science developed with understanding?
"This has been the best CPD I have ever been on"
Past participant, 2016
This course aims to identify common content and explore ways of teaching that develop sufficient mathematical understanding whilst providing fluency in the skills required for science. The course is designed for teachers of GCSE science and teachers of GCSE maths. Experience shows that the most is gained from this course if a science teacher and a maths teacher from the same school attend together.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
"An excellent [course] with engaging facilitators, thought provoking discussions, and an appropriate focus on impact"
Past Participant, 2016
- explore the requirements of the mathematics and science specifications
- experience the mathematical content in science examinations
- discuss what makes good teaching
- consider practical models for departments working together
- carry out a gap task to investigate the use of common resources
- create an action plan to be implemented back in school