Technicians as demonstrators NE203
This online CPD will take participants through a journey exploring the use of demonstrations in science to inspire pupils.
Designed for technicians who wish to develop or enhance their role as a demonstrator at secondary and post-16 level by exploring the following themes: biology, chemistry and physics demonstrations, health and safety, and teaching and learning through demonstrations.
There will be weekly tasks, online discussions with other technicians and course tutors, video demonstrations, mini-lectures and access to resources. Throughout, we encourage you to take a practical approach to the course, contributing your experience and sharing good practice.
The course is 6 weeks in duration and will take 2-3 hours of study time per week. There is a weekly structure to the course, but you can engage with the content at anytime to suit you during the week.
Participants will need access to a lab to undertake weekly tasks.
You will be able to:
- develop your range of approaches to make science teaching more inspiring and exciting
- be more confident in carrying out a range of demonstrations
- consider when it is appropriate to use demonstrations and how they can promote deeper learning and enthusiasm for science
- be aware of safety regulations and management of students during demonstrations
- develop your skill in putting together a demonstration lecture for special occasions
- plan how you can use demonstrations to create an impact in your school
The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address.
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. In booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared by the with FutureLearn under these terms & conditions. By accepting the National STEM Learning Centre’s invitation to register on this course (joining instructions), you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common.
Before applying click here to read booking Terms and Conditions