Developing knowledge and practical skills for design and technology GCSE TY242
Develop your knowledge and practical skills to confidently teach design and technology GCSE
Would you like to increase your confidence in teaching new or unfamiliar content?
Would you like to develop your knowledge and skills outside of your specialist area?
Are you looking for ways of engaging students in content not traditionally taught in your material area?
This two day course will help you develop the practical skills and knowledge to deliver the design and technology GCSE. It is aimed at teachers from all material areas (product design, textiles, resistant materials, graphics, etc…) and will support the teaching of all exam specifications.
Content will include:
- teaching the tricky bits eg levers, mechanisms, forces, stresses, electronics
- developing material knowledge, exploring the properties and uses of a range of materials
- hands-on experience of materials, developing your confidence in processes that might be outside of your traditional specialism
- exploring how non-traditional equipment can be used in a classroom to teach GCSE subject content, allowing for activities to be carried out in a non-specialist room
- lots of ideas for activities that can be used in the classroom to develop your key stage 4 curriculum
- suggestions on how current classrooms and staffing might be used to deliver the design and technology GCSE
Please note, whilst this course will spend time focused on equipment, the majority of content will focus on activities that can be carried out in a non-specialist room and approaches to teaching GCSE content without traditional machinery.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- understand the knowledge requirements of design and technology GCSE and the depth of content needed for successful delivery
- develop your confidence to deliver the GCSE subject content, using equipment and resources outside of your material specialism
- gain resources and ideas that you can use straight away