New to teaching A level physics NY252 / C21
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- materials - identifying difficulties with the subjective nature of materials and understanding key definitions like brittleness
- mechanics - looking at SUVAT, using dataloggers and modern technology to teach forces and motion
- electricity - looking at capacitors and potential dividers along with effective ways to undertake calculations
- waves - explaining Young's double slit experiment, trialling the core practical and building on basic GCSE knowledge
- particles and radiation - gain an understanding of the history of particle physics and building confidence in the use of terms like MeV and also the standard model
- nuclear and medical physics - looking at contempory physics and how advances in medical physics is being used today e.g. hadron beam therapy
- maths in physics - building links with maths departments to build students understanding of equations as well as logs and exponentials
- engaging and relevant practical - going above and beyond the core practical work, allowing for alternatives and building students understanding through unfamiliar contexts
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
I am the Professional Development Leader for Physics at the National STEM Centre in York. I lead course based around physics from ages 11-19, and...
- develop engaging and interactive approaches to core topics such as medical physics, forces and motion, quantum physics and electricity
- describe examples of contemporary physics such as how the principals behind the detectors at CERN can be used for radiotherapy
- prioritise an area of action research that be carried out in your educational establishment
|New to teaching A-level Physics - Day one||07 February 2022||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|New to teaching A-level Physics - Day two||08 February 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|New to teaching A-level Physics - Day three||19 April 2022||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|New to teaching A-level Physics - Day four||20 April 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact email@example.com to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available