Using manipulatives to enhance understanding in secondary mathematics MY210 / A20
Manipulatives- or “objects to think with- include counters, interlocking cubes, Cuisenaire rods and tiles… Research suggests that their use is beneficial to mathematical understanding, and can help students with retention, problem solving and reasoning.
“Cannot wait to get back to school to share what I have learned and seen and done today” Past participant
During this course, we will:
- explore the amazing world of interlocking cubes
- discover hundred and one things to do with dice and dominos
- gain insights into teaching using geoboards, bar modelling and proof by origami
And an optional evening session playing a selection of mathematical games.
“Very Informative and nice to have time to experience the resources and consider different ways of using the manipulatives.” Past participant
This two day, residential, hands-on, practical experience is suitable for all teachers of mathematics in secondary school.
The fee covers tuition, meals and overnight accommodation.
- explore a variety of resources available for use in secondary mathematics
- develop methods for using manipulatives to enhance mathematical understanding and communication
- explore a wealth of resources which can be used in conjunction with manipulatives that are freely available in the National STEM Learning Centre resource collection
|Using manipulatives to enhance understanding in secondary mathematics - day 1||24 February 2021||11:00-19:00|
|Using manipulatives to enhance understanding in secondary mathematics - day 2||25 February 2021||09:00-16:00|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available