100 science lessons: year R, Scottish primary 1
100 science lessons is a series of seven teachers' guides designed to give Scholastic's model for the planning involved and provide clear lesson structures for all the science lessons any class might need for each year R-Y6.
Using the content of all the UK curriculum documents offers comprehensive coverage and lots of choice. Units coinciding with work in the QCA's 'Science Scheme of Work' are designed to work alongside and support the recommended lessons.
This book addresses the unique challenges and approaches of introducing sciences to 4 and 5 year olds. The lesson objectives are based on the Early Learning Goals, as well as working towards the national curricula content.
Each unit of work is set in one or more contexts that can be the focus of cross-curricular activities such as small world play or role-play, for example 'on the farm' or 'at the garden centre'.
The units are focused as:
- Unit 1 ourselves: this is me!
- Unit 2 animals and plants: looking at animals and plants
- Unit 3 the environment: out and about
- Unit 4 materials: exploring materials
- Unit 5 electricity: making things work
- Unit 6 forces and motion: pushing and pulling
- Unit 7 light and sound: looking and listening
- Unit 8 earth and beyond: up in the sky