Survival of the Fittest
This resource contains six activities that link to Evolution and Inheritance. These resources are designed for use with mixed age groups classes of Year 5 and 6. Activities include:
- exploring inheritance and variation through Guess Who and Top Trumps, noting simple dominant and recessive genes and characteristics
- investigating mutations, understanding that they can lead to advantage (adaptation) or disadvantage
- designing an animal or plant which will ‘thrive’ in a given environment, explaining their reasons
- researching the impact of key scientists such as Darwin, Anning and Wallace, using evidence to back up their evolutionary ideas
- exploring the evolution of flight in birds through the fossil record whilst exploring and creating their own cladograms
These activities have been provided by Hamilton Trust as part of their mixed age group science lessons.