This Planet Rocks
This resource contains six activities that link to Rocks, these resources are designed for use with mixed age groups classes of Year 3 and 4. Activities include:
- making detailed observations of the six common types of rick and writing descriptions of their observable features
- learn the three different ways in which rocks can be formed
- investigating rock samples using an acid test and classify them using identification keys
- exploring their local environment to find rock samples and examples of erosion
- explore the importance of Mary Anning whilst learning about the formation of fossils and applying this understanding to make their own fossils
- closely observing soils with hand lenses, investigating drainage and composition.
These activities have been provided by Hamilton Trust as part of their mixed age group science lessons.
The Hamilton website also hosts a wealth of other free resources.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.