Build an Atom
This simulation allows you to build an atom out of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and see how the element, charge, and mass change. Students can then play a game to test their ideas.
Curriculum links include:
- Atomic Structure
- Isotope Symbols
- Atomic Nuclei
Sample learning objectives include:
- Use the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons to draw a model of the atom, identify the element, and determine the mass and charge.
- Predict how addition or subtraction of a proton, neutron, or electron will change the element, the charge, and the mass.
- Use the element name, mass, and charge to determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- Define proton, neutron, electron, atom, and ion.
- Generate an isotopic symbol for an atom, given the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
Show health and safety information
|Published||2010 to 2019|
|Log in to rate this resource|
- PhET Interactive Simulations University of Colorado Boulder