Mathematical Games from Around the World
The skills of strategy, forward thinking and logical thought are ones which make a good mathematician. Students can learn these skills through certain board games. This resource, produced by the Centre for Teaching Mathematics at the University of Plymouth, contains playing instructions for six mathematical games from around the world.
The games are:
• Alquerque - A Spanish board game similar to draughts
• Awithlaknannai - A Native American version of Alquerque
• Mu Torere - a blockade game from New Zealand
• Mancala - a board game from Africa
• Konane - a board game from Hawaii
• Five Field Kono - a battle game from Korea
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.