This programme from Teachers TV contains seven clips which may be used to demonstrate a technique for teaching number operations and fractions using paper cups. Teachers should view the programmes Just a Fraction and Understanding Fractions to see the technique being used with a class.
The clips relate to the following:
* An introduction to the resources and maths tables
* Addition, subtraction and equals including halves and quarters
* Maths story/real story: the link between the maths story - a calculation on paper - and the real story - shown by manipulating paper cups - is shown.
In the second part, students should write out the maths story as they see the real story acted out
* Multiplication: the idea of using an action to differentiate between addition and multiplication is introduced
* More fractions: the link between the concrete representation of cups and the symbolic representation with cards is established
* Moving multiplication on: cards are used to act a real story
* Imagining cups: manipulating fractions in your head
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.