Spread of disease
This Core Maths resource enables students to explore various models of the spread of disease.
The presentation has links to instructions for three activities:
- a practical investigation using a die and counters to model the spread and decline of a disease and an activity sheet to record these results.
- a document which shows how a pack of playing cards can be used to model the spread of disease in a population.
- an Excel file which shows how a population can be affected by a disease. Various factors such as incubation period can be altered on the spreadsheet and the graphs show the effect of those changes. The presentation includes a series of questions relating to these changes.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
- Spread of disease (teachers' notes)
- Spread of disease (presentation)
- Disease modelling spreadsheet (data set)
- Epidemic record sheet (activity sheet)