This learning episode, from the Institute of Physics, uses laser light to demonstrate the phenomenon of diffraction and then applies this understanding to x-rays, Bragg's law and crystallography.
The activities in this episode look at:
• students’ knowledge of X-rays
• diffraction and the limits of resolution
• diffraction of laser light and crystal models
• deriving Bragg’s law
• demonstration of crystal spacing by X-rays
• analogues of X-ray diffraction
• chemical composition by X-ray analysis
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.