Factors, Multiples and Primes
This collection of resources supports the teaching of factors, multiples and primes in secondary mathematics.
Here are some favourite activities selected by the NRICH team.
- Factors and Multiples Game A game in which players take it in turns to choose a number. Can you block your opponent?
- Factors and Multiples Puzzle Using your knowledge of the properties of numbers, can you fill all the squares on the board?
- Gabriel’s Problem Gabriel multiplied together some numbers and then erased them. Can you figure out where each number was?
- Dozens Do you know a quick way to check if a number is a multiple of two? How about three, four or six?
- Stars Can you find a relationship between the number of dots on the circle and the number of steps that will ensure that all points are hit?
- Take 3 From 5 Caroline and James pick sets of five numbers. Charlie chooses three of them that add together to make a multiple of three. Can they stop him?
- Counting Factors Is there an efficient way to work out how many factors a large number has?
The activities below, taken from the STEM Learning website, complement the NRICH activities above.