MEI GCSE mathematics extension materials
The GCSE Mathematics extension materials are aimed at students who are working towards GCSE Mathematics and would benefit from exposure to mathematics beyond the GCSE specifications.
The aims of the materials were:
- To introduce students to new ideas so as to stimulate their interest in the subject.
- To reinforce some of the concepts in GCSE so as to improve students’ understanding of them.
- To highlight how some areas of GCSE are developed at A level so as to encourage students to continue their studies.
All of the materials have the following format: *Starts from a topic or idea that is in GCSE Mathematics and features a ‘What you should know’ section.
- A ‘New idea’ that is an extension to GCSE Mathematics.
- A task for students to attempt so they can investigate the idea.
- Ideas for further investigation suggested in a ‘Take it further section’.
- A brief explanation of how this topic is developed at A level.
- All the materials are based on a single sheet of A4 (except for NA 11, SSM 4 and SSM 6) which can be copied and given to students.
- Teachers’ notes, including solutions, are available to all schools who subscribe to the online resources or register free with the Further Mathematics Support Programme.
Some suggestions for ways to use the materials:
- As a whole-class activity when students have finished studying the topic.
- As extra materials to stretch and challenge some of the more able students within a class.
- As a regular, possibly optional, homework task.
- As a basis for study in lunchtime or after-school maths club.
The tasks are not intended to be linear. Students will benefit from the investigations even if they do not ‘complete’ them.
- In each of the three sections the resources are ordered by accessibility; however, it is inevitable that some students will progress further with some tasks than with others.
- The materials are based on interesting mathematical ideas and are not designed to provide extension to every aspect of the GCSE specifications.
MEI GCSE Extension materials for Number/Algebra. Tasks are available on quadratics, surds, interpreting graphs, trial & improvement, functions, indices, simultaneous equations, fractions, inequalities and curves.
The materials are aimed at students who are working towards GCSE Mathematics and would...
MEI GCSE Extension materials for shape, space and measure. Tasks are available on trigonometry, circles, Pythagoras’ theorem, loci, and vectors.
The materials are aimed at students who are working towards GCSE Mathematics and would benefit from exposure to mathematics beyond the GCSE specifications.
MEI GCSE Extension materials for handling data (statistics). Tasks are available on the mean from a frequency table, interquartile range and tree diagrams.
The materials are aimed at students who are working towards GCSE Mathematics and would benefit from exposure to mathematics beyond the GCSE...