Recycling cities: a unit for 13-16 year olds
Produced by The Centre for Industry Education Collaboration (CIEC), these materials help students to gain an understanding of a number of scientific ideas through investigating how a refrigerator works. The key ideas covered include:
* liquids require heat to evaporate
* some gases can be liquefied at room temperature by compression
* vapours release heat when they condense.
The activities described in these materials enable students to:
* consider how a refrigerator works
* watch a demonstration of cooling caused by evaporation and relate it to an industrial deep freezing process
* investigate a working refrigerator and construct a temperature profile.
Full teacher guidance and student activity sheets are included in the materials.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.