LEGO WeDo (Robotics for younger pupils) Activity Day
A brief description of how the workshop would be run?:
Up to 18 programmable LEGO WeDo kits for the pupils to use (in pairs).
Build a model and program it to do some simple tasks with motors and sensors.
Programming can be done using simple LEGO block-programming software and/or Scratch
What age groups?:
- Works best for ages 6-10 but any primary school age is fine.
Maximum number of children you can cater for?:
- Working in pairs is best but threes can work
- Usually run in a classroom with up to 36 pupils at a time but, if a bigger space is available, larger groups can be catered for
- Each session generally 1-1.5 hours so normally 3 sessions in a day but can squeeze in 4.
It is easier if the school provides the computers/laptops (I provide the software) but I can arrange laptops if necessary.
Kits are also available to rent if you prefer to run sessions yourself or would like to continue after the activity day: https://www.stem.org.uk/enrichment/stem-directory/activity/lego-robotics-kit-rental
The skills pupils will be using are:
- Follow instructions to build Lego models (one between 2)
- Simple programming/debugging (move, speed, stop, react to sensor)
- Simple sensor use
- Extension activity for each model
- 12 different models in total (pupils usually build 2-3 per session): https://education.lego.com/en-gb/support/wedo/building-instructions
- Themed "invent your own" model options also available for topics such as Space and Polar Exploration
This lines up very well with many requirements of the primary KS1 and KS2 computing curriculum (published 2014/15).
There are more general skills in use:
- Teamwork (in pairs/threes)
- Problem solving
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||09 October 2019|
|Last modified||30 June 2020|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Subject(s)||Computing, Cross curricular, Design and technology, Science, STEM Clubs|
|Running times||A day|
Cost generally £400-£800 depending on duration and distance from Surrey
|Log in to rate this resource|