The materials in this resource are from the Secondary National Strategy ‘Progressing to Level 6 and beyond in science’ project. They were intended for science teachers who are focusing on helping their students in developing skills in researching scientific issues.
The Research skills teacher guidance file provides strategies for teachers using appropriate resources and should be read first - in conjunction with the Research skills steps table document. Both documents provide a breakdown of each key skill, with suggested strategies for moving students from one level, or ‘step’, to the next. These levelled skills are also presented in the Research skills pupil speak sheet so that students can assess their own progress and plan what they could do to improve. There is also specific teacher guidance on Supporting the writing of conclusions.
The teacher and classroom resources include:
* evidence cards which can be used to help students organise evidence for and against different theories around dinosaur extinction; photosynthesis and respiration; and plate tectonics
* an evidence decision maker to help students decide if evidence is strong or weak
* ideas for developing DARTs (Directed Activities Related to Texts)
* ideas for note taking strategies
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
- Research skills teacher guidance
- Research skills steps table
- Research skills pupil speak sheet
- Supporting the writing of conclusions
- Dinosaur extinction mystery
- Photosynthesis and respiration card sort
- Tectonics card sort
- Evidence decision maker
- Handouts for developing DARTs
- Note taking strategies
|Age||11-14, 14-16, 16-19|
|Published||2000 - 2009|
Share this resource
This resource is part of National Strategies: Science