Develop subject knowledge and pedagogical skills to support effective teaching of Key Stage 4 chemistry.
Teaching Key Stage 4 chemistry as a non-specialist can be daunting and even more so if you don’t have a science background. During this course, you will work with an experienced subject specialist to gain the substantive and disciplinary knowledge required to teach chemistry effectively.
We will help you get the best out of your students by working on their misconceptions, engaging with core practicals and supporting with their understanding in GCSE chemistry.
Who is it for?
Teachers of science who are not chemistry specialists, ECTs and teachers who are new to teaching science at KS4
What topics are covered?
This two-day course covers:
- effective practical work and demonstrations
- better ways of delivering understanding of practical techniques
- identification and treatment of common misconceptions
- suitable resources to enhance your teaching
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster
which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a two day intensive course
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- teach Key Stage 4 chemistry with increased confidence using a range of teaching strategies to assess students’ prior understanding
- counter your students' misconceptions and move learning forward
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.