Chemistry for non-specialists NY243
Providing teachers with the confidence, flair and enthusiasm to teach chemistry at all levels.
This course is designed to provide teachers with the confidence, flair and enthusiasm to teach chemistry at Key Stages 3 and 4. It is specifically aimed at those who are not chemistry specialists. The five day course is split into a 3 day and a 2 day residential period, based in York.
The course covers a wide range of topics in theoretical and practical chemistry, as well as supporting teachers in challenging both students, and their own, misconceptions in chemistry. Lab sessions provide hands-on opportunities to explore and refine experiments and demonstrations. Support is provided both during and after the course to help participants embed their learning and understanding. A large bank of resources will be supplied to enable participants increase their chemistry repertoire back in their school.
This course is run in conjunction with the Royal Society of Chemistry and is supported by chemistry practitioners from the National Science Learning Centre.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course. Course fees vary for participants outside the UK. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
By the end of the course participants will have:
- increased their understanding of chemistry topics at Key Stage 3 and 4
- become more confident and competent in the teaching of chemistry
- rehearsed relevant and interesting practical experiments and demonstrations to help inspire and engage their students
- developed an understanding of common student misconceptions and how these can be addressed
- developed the effective use of scientific models relevant to the teaching of chemistry
This course is part of a series of continuing professional development opportunities developed by the Royal Society of Chemistry and is supported by chemistry practitioners from the National STEM Learning Centre.
We are pleased to be able to offer delegates from schools who are RSC members 10% off this course. Simply enter the code: RSC1510 when you apply.