Leading the thinking, doing, talking approach in primary science NY001 / A23
This course is based upon the highly successful 'Thinking, Doing, Talking Science' project from Science Oxford which works on the premise that science lessons which are most successful at engaging and motivating pupils and raising their attainment feature more practical activity, deeper thinking, more discussion, less (but more focused) writing and more questioning.
Research has shown that this approach has a positive impact on pupils' attitudes to science, science lessons and practical work in particular. Learn how to embed a range of strategies across different areas of the primary science curriculum and lead this approach throughout your school.
Who is it for?
Primary teachers and primary science leaders.
What topics are covered?
This four day course covers:
- higher order thinking skills
- practical prompts for thinking and hands-on challenges
- materials activities
- sound and light activities
- developing digital skills through data logging challenges
- plants, animals and evolutionary ideas
- forces activities
- gears, levers and pulleys activities
- leading challenge and change in your school
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a four day intensive course, split into two residential periods.
Who is the course leader?
Nicky is dedicated and passionate about primary science education, always looking for innovative ways to inspire children and teachers. She makes...
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- clarify appropriate standards of expectation in primary science and provide a rich and stimulating environment for children
- develop a range of strategies to promote learning using higher level thinking skills, effective questioning and discussion
- become more confident in developing and leading a range of practical enrichment activities
|Leading the thinking, doing, talking approach in primary science - day 1||20 November 2023||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading the thinking, doing, talking approach in primary science - day 2||21 November 2023||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading the thinking, doing, talking approach in primary science - day 3||24 April 2024||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading the thinking, doing, talking approach in primary science - day 4||25 April 2024||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Fees & Subsidies
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact email@example.com to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available