Teaching climate change NE213 / C21
Online, self-paced course. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. Developed in partnership with ESERO Ireland and ESERO UK, this course introduces the topic of climate change and the work of the European Space Agency.
In this course you’ll explore the difference between weather and climate, as well as how climate is affected by earth process and human factors. You will have the opportunity to examine causes and effects of Climate Change, develop your confidence teaching climate change and plan to lead students through ESA’s Climate Detectives project.
To support your students with climate change projects, you will look at what makes a good research question, analyse and identify data which is fit for purpose, and organise and communicate findings in a variety of ways using relevant scientific terminology and representations.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- what is climate change?
- climate change in the taught curriculum
- climate science projects for students, such as ESA Climate Detectives
- how climate change is measured using satellite data
- mitigating climate change
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Tom Lyons
• Stephanie O'Neill
• Catherine Daly
Developed in partnership with ESERO UK and ESERO Ireland.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- explain the difference between weather and climate
- investigate the causes and effects of climate change
- collect and interpret Earth Observation satellite data
- develop activities that engage your students in investigating and communicating local climate issues and solutions
- collaborate with other teachers to develop your teaching practice and use of climate change as a context for curriculum learning
|1 Teaching climate change||09 May 2022||00:00-00:00|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree||Subsidy available*£0.00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity feeFree|
* Your school or college will receive the subsidy on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your school subsidy status
The subsidy value may be higher for your school or college.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available