Summer School for NQTs teaching 11-16 science NY255 / B20
This summer school is for science teachers who have just qualified and are ready to start their first teaching post in September. The course will give in-depth support around practical work, classroom and behaviour management, dealing with misconceptions and helping you plan for success in your first terms teaching.
We will support you with experienced teaching colleagues, allowing you to practice your skills in our lab-based environment. You will have an opportunity to explore much of the KS3 and GCSE practical content, and how to teach it well. We will concentrate on the hands-on aspects during the residential course, which will increase your capacity to deal with common misconceptions and provide good teaching tools in areas outside your core science subject.
This course is complimented by the course NY325 Summer School for NQTs teaching A level which takes place on dates next to these and also has a separate bursary attached.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- Required practical: across the 3 sciences we look at purposes of the practical, how to maximise learning and give hands on experience
- Misconceptions: identifying and combatting common misconceptions and how to prevent learners from slipping back into these ideas
- Subject knowledge: across all 3 sciences we look at areas where students struggle and aim to build your (and their) confidence
- Progression: We look at how to progress learning throughout the 5 years and linking to the big picture of science
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Participants will be able to:
- develop their practical science teaching skills across Key Stage 3 and GCSE
- explore a range of strategies to effectively assess students skills and understanding
- enhance classroom and behaviour management skills
- experience supported planning for their first terms science teaching
- identify areas for further development and how they can be supported
|Summer School for NQTs teaching 11-16 science Day 1||26 July 2021||11:00-19:00|
|Summer School for NQTs teaching 11-16 science Day 2||27 July 2021||09:00-19:00|
|Summer School for NQTs teaching 11-16 science Day 3||28 July 2021||09:00-16:00|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available