Preparing students for GCSE and A level examinations in design and technology TY253 / A19
With the increased rigour in design and technology examinations, at both GCSE and A level, it’s important to equip students with effective learning strategies.
This course will provide ideas and resources to support teachers to develop a curriculum that embeds examination strategies throughout learning, drawing from expertise and research, including that from the Education Endowment Foundation.
The course content is relevant to teachers who are delivering key stage 3, GCSE and A level design and technology curriculums.
During the course we will:
- unpick the current research on what supports effective learning, including research on metacognition by the Education Endowment Foundation
- work with you to develop a holistic curriculum with natural progression across key stage 3, 4 and 5
- identifying strategies that embed learning and revision of exam content over time
- consider easy to implement strategies that support students of varying ability levels, supporting students to maximise their potential in exams
- developing skills for specific types of exam questions, including extended answer questions at both GCSE and A level
- identifying key priority learning areas in both GCSE and A level exams
- undertake practical activities to support the teaching of science linked parts of the curriculum, eg levers and mechanisms, forces and stresses
- explore ways in which theoretical content can be delivered with a hands on approach
- discuss how you can work with your maths department to develop resources that support the maths content within design and technology (Note the course will not cover maths content in detail but will consider how maths can be easily integrated into the D&T curriculum)
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- identify key strategies that strengthen the retention and application of knowledge and which supports students of varying ability levels, to maximise their potential in exams
- develop your planning for a holistic design and technology curriculum across key stage 3, 4 and 5 that supports student success in the design and technology written exams at GCSE and A level
- develop skills for specific types of questions at GCSE and A level, including extended answer questions
|Preparing students for GCSE and A level examinations in design and technology - day 1||15 November 2019 10:00-18:30|
|Preparing students for GCSE and A level examinations in design and technology - day 2||16 November 2019 09:00-15:30|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£640.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£640.00 +VAT||Standard bursary available*£540.00|
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Can we help?
If you have any questions about our bursaries or this booking call us on 01904 326394
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available