Creating an effective curriculum in key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology TY241 / A19
Review your curriculum and reflect on how your department can develop a programme of learning that supports progression from key stage 3 through to GCSE.
This course will focus on the designing and making attainment target at key stage 3, as well as the design and technology GCSE qualification, and is relevant to all material areas (please note, it will not include the cooking and nutrition attainment target). Develop a robust key stage 3 curriculum, providing a solid foundation for the requirements of design and technology at GCSE, as well as supporting the planning and development of a GCSE curriculum that underpins further study at A level.
“Excellent information and discussion, well led, with well-planned sessions and resources. There was ample time to reflect and to develop skills, with areas that were well thought out and thought provoking. A lot of relevant matters that were essential to forward planning with a lot of "I hadn't thought of that" ideas.” - Past participant 2016
During this course, we will:
- provide a framework for self-assessment of your current key stage 3 and GCSE curriculum
- look at how key stage 3 supports the design and technology GCSE and what steps can be taken to ensure that students are fully prepared when they arrive at key stage 4
- consider new ideas, strategies and approaches to the key skills and knowledge required at key stage 3 and GCSE, in order to create an exciting and engaging curriculum that raises the profile of design and technology and encourages students to opt for it
- discover a range of strategies and ideas that create an engaging key stage 3 and GCSE curriculum, embedding progression and creativity
- support you to develop a personalised action plan for your department
- provide resources to take away that will help you to develop your key stage 3 and GCSE curriculum
Note this is the same course as the one previously delivered with the title ‘Getting it Right in Key Stage 3, Laying Good Foundations for Design and Technology GCSE’ and delegates who attended the original course should not attend this one.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- explore how the key stage 3 curriculum can be developed to better prepare students for the design and technology GCSE
- plan a GCSE curriculum that builds on key stage 3 and which prepares students for A level
- gain resources to support an engaging and progression focused key stage 3 and GCSE curriculum
- investigate how key stage 3 can be used to raise the profile of design and technology, supporting the uptake of design and technology at key stage 4
|Creating an effective curriculum in key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology - day 1||08 November 2019||10:00-18:30||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Creating an effective curriculum in key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology- day 2||09 November 2019||09:00-15:30||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Subsidies
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available