Textiles masterclass for key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology TY254 / A19
Are you a resistant materials or product design teacher who wants to learn more about textiles?
Would you like support with teaching the textiles core content of the design and technology GCSE?
Are you a textiles specialist looking for new ideas and chance to learn new practical skills?
This two day residential course is focused on all things textiles! We have developed a range of sessions that will give you a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in an intense, practical and fun textiles workout!
The course will be divided into a combination of mini optional workshops and larger joint sessions, aimed at supporting participants who have different levels of practical skills and theoretical knowledge. No matter whether you are a complete textiles novice or experienced practitioner, this course will give you opportunity to develop new ideas, practical outcomes and gain resources for teaching design and technology at key stage 3 and GCSE.
During the course we will provide:
- ideas for teaching the textiles parts of the design and technology GCSE, core content. e.g. woven, knitted and non-woven fabrics, basic fibre information. This will include easy to deliver practical activities and ideas for participants who want to go beyond the essentials.
- ideas for teaching core content learning that has previously not been in textiles specifications e.g. levers and mechanisms. We will show how this learning is relevant to textiles and how it can be delivered in an engaging way.
- opportunities to develop basic textiles skills e.g. using a sewing machine, the use of other basic equipment, and carrying out basic construction techniques.
- opportunities for participants who are more experienced to develop their skills further e.g. more advanced construction techniques such as zips, using a commercial pattern and making simple adaptations, and very basic pattern drafting.
- ideas for developing careers content for lessons, in particular, challenging stereotypes, awareness of the textiles industry and ideas for engaging boys in textiles projects.
- discussion and ideas on how to raise the profile of design and technology in your school, referencing future developments in textiles and textiles industry.
Over the two days, you will create a variety of samples to use back in your classroom and gain resources and ideas that can be put into practice straight away.
The course is suitable for participants who have attended previous STEM Learning design and technology courses, building on previous learning and new content.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- understand more about textiles content, it’s value in the curriculum and in industry, and the exciting opportunities it offers learners
- develop textiles knowledge and skill at your own pace, with support from experienced specialists
- consider how the broader materials content of the curriculum can be delivered through textiles without compromising on creativity
- create resources that can be used back in the classroom to support the key stage 3 and design and technology GCSE curriculum
|Textiles masterclass for key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology - day 1||11 October 2019||10:00-18:30||National STEM Centre|
|Textiles masterclass for key stage 3 and GCSE design and technology - day 2||12 October 2019||09:00-15:30||National STEM Centre|
Fees & Subsidies
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available