Using 3D printers creatively in KS3 and KS4 design and technology TY214 / A19
Whether you have a 3D printer or are looking at buying one, this course will provide you with ideas, support and resources to make 3D printing part of your design and technology lessons.
Through a mix of both hands-on workshops and presentations, we will develop knowledge of:
- health and safety for 3D printing in school
- using 3D printing to engage creativity in the classroom
- general maintenance and top tips for a high quality print
- developing a 3D printing curriculum in secondary and GCSE, through resources by learnbylayers
- using downloadable 3D printed models as part of engaging design and technology lessons
- the range of 3D printers available and the benefits of different models
- CAD modelling techniques for creating quick outcomes in design and technology
- how 3D printing can be used to support the social, moral and cultural elements of the design and technology curriculum
Each participant will leave with a free copy of the learnbylayers intermediate lesson pack, a tried and tested curriculum that can be taught straight away on your return to school.
“My confidence in using 3D printers has developed hugely and I feel that I am now armed with the necessary skills and confidence to fully integrate 3D printing in to the curriculum.” Past participant, 2016
Knowledge of CAD is helpful, but not necessary. Laptops will be provided for all participants and we will be using the latest educational version of Autodesk Fusion 360 for the majority of the design sessions. However, if you are an experienced CAD user, you are welcome to bring your own device, with your choice of CAD software.
Course content will primarily focus on how filament printers are used in the classroom, although other non-filament technologies will be mentioned.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- develop ideas for creative 3D printed student projects at secondary and GCSE
- review the learnbylayers curriculum and investigate how it can complement your existing schemes of work
- explore the 3D file marketplace and gain ideas of where to find support both online and locally
- understand techniques to maintain 3D printers and ensure a high quality build of product
|Using 3D printers creatively in KS3 and KS4 design and technology - day 1||29 November 2019||10:30-18:30||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Using 3D printers creatively in KS3 and KS4 design and technology - day 2||30 November 2019||09:00-15:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Subsidies
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available